Saturday, December 03, 2005

They Should Rename It a Good Sexist Name Like Mamallote

Currently, I am swimming through several poaching (to cook in a simmering liquid) lessons, the best of which has been learning how to cook "en papillote" which translate to "in parchment." When cooking en papillote, one fills a parchment or foil pouch with meat or vegetables, herbs, a bit of fat, and some water or broth. The food simmers inside the pouch, steaming and becoming infused with flavour from the herbs and broth. I am in love.

The best part of cooking en papillote is that--as far as I know--you can prepare the pouch hours ahead of time, throw it in the oven, and pull out dinner a few minutes later. My first foray into cooking en papillote (can you tell that I like writing that word. It makes me feel all smart and Frenchy and fancy) was making a garlic and potato side dish that was infused with fresh rosemary. Had I been smarter, I would have thrown together the pouch while the kids ate goldfish crackers after dinner (instead, we made fresh pasta which is very exciting for them since they have yet to view television. It's like the Iron Chef right in their own home). Put it in the oven while the kids bathed and then had a delicious plate of potatoes and garlic when I came back to the kitchen. Instead, I made the pouch, made the rest of my dinner, looked at the cooking time (damn that whole read-all-the-directions-before-you-begin thing!), ate the rest of my dinner while it cooked, and then enjoyed a few potato slices while I typed this. I'll have the leftovers tomorrow for lunch.

We're eating well in D.C.

Actually, we are cooking well in D.C. I have yet to find the time to actually eat what I cook since my children don't seem to want me to bring food to my mouth. Attempts at feeding myself are interrupted by tears from stolen toys and screams as Ladybird tries to get back the aforementioned stolen toy. Regardless, we have a refrigerator filled with very attractive leftovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home